Principle of Management
Q1a) Give the meaning of the following terms in brief. (From all units):
- Decision Making
- Line & Staff Organization
- Span of Control
- Organization structure
- Organization chart
Q2) Unit 1
- Explain the term ‘management’. Why is management important for hospitality firms?
- How has management evolved since many years?
- ‘Management is an art of getting things done through others’. Comment.
- ‘Management is a social science’. Do you agree? Explain giving reasons.
- What are the different roles of a manager while interacting with people within and outside a hospitality firm?
- Explain the various decisional roles of a manager.
- Explain the term ‘top level management’. Discuss the various functions of the top level management in an organization.
- Explain the term ‘middle level management’. Discuss its functions.
- Explain the various levels of management.
- Explain the terms ‘conceptual skills’, ‘HR skills' and ‘technical skills’ with examples.
- What is communication? Explain the process of communication.
- ‘Effective communication is the essence of management’. Comment.
- Define the term management. Explain the process of management.
- Explain Henry Fayol’s 14 principles of management.
- Narrate 5 important skills which a manager in the hospitality sector requires.
- Explain the various informational roles of a manager.
- Explain planning. What are the essentials of a good plan?
- What is decision making? Explain the process of decision making.
- Explain the terms Vision and Mission with examples.
- What is planning? Explain the steps of planning giving appropriate examples.
- What is planning? Explain the essentials of a good plan.
- What is planning? What are the advantages of planning in an organization?
- Explain the term ‘planning’. What are the difficulties involved managerial planning?
- There is a group of 40 people checking in your hotel where you are the front office manager. All of them are Indians. Amongst them 10 guests are Jain and 6 do not consume alcohol. All of them are very particular about cleanliness. Make a plan explaining the various steps involved in the process of planning so as to ensure that their 1 day stay (24 hours) is very comfortable and memorable. You are allowed to make appropriate assumptions as a part of this exercise.
- There is a group of 200 people coming to stay at your hotel where you are the housekeeping manager. The host is very particular about cleanliness and has instructed you that he does not want any alcohol (within the minibar) in the room as paying for the same is beyond his budget. Make a plan explaining the various steps involved in the process of planning to ensure that all of them have a memorable stay. You are allowed to make appropriate assumptions as a part of this exercise.
- There is a group of 20 people coming to your coffee shop for a lunch buffet. It comprises of Americans, Chinese, Koreans and Indians. This group is coming for a lunch buffet. You are the coffee shop manager. Make a plan explaining the various steps of planning process so as to ensure that they have a memorable experience. Do not forget there will be other guests also around. You are allowed to make appropriate assumptions as a part of this exercise.
Q3) Unit 2:
- Distinguish between any three of the following: a) Closed structure and open system
- What is organizing? How is it different from planning? Explain with an example.
- Explain the term ‘organization structure’. Explain the different types of structures that exist in organizations.
- What is meant by the term ‘organization chart’? Draw an organization chart for the Front Office or Food and Beverage department.
- What is organizing? Explain the process of organizing.
- What is meant by the term ‘span of control’? What are the benefits of an ideal span of control?
- What is departmentation? What are the different basis of departmentation?
- What is delegation? Explain the process of delegation with an example.
- ‘Delegation and decentralization are one and the same’. Comment.
- ‘Delegation and decision making are not the same’. Comment.
- What is coordinating? Why is it important?
- What is coordination? Explain its principles.
- What is staffing? Explain the various internal sources of recruitment.
- Explain the meaning of staffing. Explain the various external sources of recruitment.
b) Tall and flat organization
c) Formal and informal organization structure
d) Centralization and decentralization of authority
e) Departmentation on the basis of customers and on the basis of geographical area
f) Departmentation on the basis of product and on the basis of process
g) Departmentation on the basis of function and on the basis of product
h) Narrow & wide span of control
i) Organizing and Coordinating
Q4) Unit 3:
- Explain the term direction. How is it different from delegation?
- Explain the term directing. Why is directing important in the process of management?
- What is directing? What are the various elements of directing?
- ‘Effective directing done by the top level management leads to profitability and productivity’. Comment.
- ‘Direction is a function of management that converts a plan into action’. Do you agree? Explain giving reasons.
- Explain the concept of leadership in detail? Name any 3 effective leaders from the hospitality sector.
- What is the meaning of the term ‘leadership’? What are the various features of leadership?
- ‘A good manager has to be a good leader’. Comment.
- Explain the various important traits that hospitality leaders of today require.
- Explain the term leadership. What are the qualities of a good leader?
- What is the meaning of the term leadership? Explain any 2 theories of leadership.
- What is motivation? Explain Theory X and Theory Y of motivation.
- What is motivation? Explain Maslow’s Theory of Motivation.
- Explain the term motivation. Why is it important for a manager to motivate his/her team?
- What is meant by controlling? What is the relationship between controlling and planning?
- What is controlling? Why is it important?
- What is controlling? Explain its process.
- What is controlling? Explain the concepts of feedback, feedforward and concurrent control.
- What is time management? What are those factors that lead to mismanagement of time?
- What is time management? Why is it important?
- What is time management? Explain the different ways and means one can follow to manage his or her time effectively?
- What is time management? How do you handle your time during weekly off or holidays?
Q5) Explain in detail: (Units 1, 2 and 3)
- Features of management
- Management as a science
- Analytical skills of a manager
- Communication skills of a manager
- Features of planning
- Management By Objectives
- Importance of decision making
- Span of control
- Staff and line organization
- Recruitment and Selection
- Importance of staffing
- Merits and demerits of internal sources of recruitment
- Merits and demerits of external sources of recruitment
- Authority and power
- Monetary and non-monetary motivators
- Democratic style leadership
- Autocratic style of leadership
- Free-rein style of leadership
My Dear Students,
The questions given in the QUESTION BANK are the most important questions. The students are advised not to fully rely only on these questions. Students should also refer other questions to get the maximum marks.
Best of Luck for your Exams.